Secured WordPress with Aurora on Linux Server
WordPress With its popularity does not need the introduction.But Mysql Management has been a pain point which is being removed using this Instance by using 100% Mysql Compliant Aurora
Wordpress Users have always had the problem of maintaing Mysql inclduing backup, scaling up and administering. AWS has removed this problem by providing a 100% mysql compliant Aurora. Aurora takes out the overhead of maintaining a RDBMS system.Cognosys presents this specially pre-configured WordPress image with inbuilt Mysql Backup. Enterprise Customers who are looking for WordPress can use this Image for instantaneous deployments. WordPress combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers. This makes it flexible while still being easy-to-use. Everything from simple websites, to blogs, to complex portals and enterprise websites, and even applications, are built with WordPress. The respective trademarks mentioned in the offering are owned by the respective companies.
Due to the initial setup of this image, it may take up to 20 minutes to launch.
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine.
Major Features of WordPress :
WordPress powers more than 23% of the web – a figure that rises every day. Everything from simple websites, to blogs, to complex portals and enterprise websites, and even applications, are built with WordPress.
WordPress combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers. This makes it flexible while still being easy-to-use.
The following is a list of some of the features that come as standard with WordPress; however, there are literally thousands of plugins that extend what WordPress does, so the actual functionality is nearly limitless. You are also free to do whatever you like with the WordPress code, extend it or modify in any way or use it for commercial projects without any licensing fees. That is the beauty of free software, free refers not only to price but also the freedom to have complete control over it.
- Simplicity makes it possible for you to get online and get publishing, quickly. Nothing should get in the way of you getting your website up and your content out there. WordPress is built to make that happen.
- Flexibility With WordPress, you can create any type of website you want: a personal blog or website, a photoblog, a business website, a professional portfolio, a government website, a magazine or news website, an online community, even a network of websites. You can make your website beautiful with themes, and extend it with plugins. You can even build your very own application.
- Publish with Ease If you’ve ever created a document, you’re already a whizz at creating content with WordPress. You can create Posts and Pages, format them easily, insert media, and with the click of a button your content is live and on the web.
- Publishing Tools WordPress makes it easy for you to manage your content. Create drafts, schedule publication, and look at your post revisions. Make your content public or private, and secure posts and pages with a password.
- User Management Not everyone requires the same access to your website. Administrators manage the site, editors work with content, authors and contributors write that content, and subscribers have a profile that they can manage. This lets you have a variety of contributors to your website, and let others simply be part of your community.
- Media Management They say a picture says a thousand words, which is why it’s important for you to be able to quickly and easily upload images and media to WordPress. Drag and drop your media into the uploader to add it to your website. Add alt text, captions, and titles, and insert images and galleries into your content. We’ve even added a few image editing tools you can have fun with.
- Full Standards Compliance Every piece of WordPress generated code is in full compliance with the standards set by the W3C. This means that your website will work in today’s browser while maintaining forward compatibility with the next generation of browser. Your website is a beautiful thing, now and in the future.
- Easy Theme System WordPress comes bundled with two default themes, but if they aren’t for you there’s a theme directory with thousands of themes for you to create a beautiful website. None of those to your taste? Upload your own theme with the click of a button. It only takes a few seconds for you to give your website a complete makeover.
- Extend with Plugins WordPress comes packed full of features for every user, for every other feature there’s a plugin directory with thousands of plugins. Add complex galleries, social networking, forums, social media widgets, spam protection, calendars, fine-tune controls for search engine optimization, and forms.
- Built-in Comments Your blog is your home, and comments provide a space for your friends and followers to engage with your content. WordPress’s comment tools give you everything you need to be a forum for discussion and to moderate that discussion.
- Search Engine Optimized WordPress is optimized for search engines right out of the box. For more fine-grained SEO control, there are plenty of SEO plugins to take care of that for you.
- Multilingual WordPress is available in more than 70 languages. If you or the person you’re building the website for would prefer to use WordPress in a language other than English, that’s easy to do.
- Own Your Data Hosted services come and go. If you’ve ever used a service that disappeared, you know how traumatic that can be. If you’ve ever seen adverts appear on your website, you’ve probably been pretty annoyed. Using WordPress means no one has access to your content. Own your data, all of it – your website, your content, your data.
- Freedom WordPress is licensed under the GPL which was created to protect your freedoms. You are free to use WordPress in any way you choose: install it, use it, modify it, distribute it. Software freedom is the foundation that WordPress is built on.
- Community As the most popular open source CMS on the web, WordPress has a vibrant and supportive community. Ask a question on the support forums and get help from a volunteer, attend a WordCamp or Meetup to learn more about WordPress, read blogs posts and tutorials about WordPress. A community is at the heart of WordPress, making it what it is today.
- Contribute You can be WordPress too! Help to build WordPress, answer questions on the support forums, write documentation, translate WordPress into your language, speak at a WordCamp, write about WordPress on your blog. Whatever your skill, we’d love to have you!
Secured WordPress with Aurora on Linux Server
Instructions for using installed components with AWS Template for WordPress on Aurora
Note: Please do not choose Single Ami option for First time deployment
A) Template Deployment:
In the input parameters IP address range entered for “ELBCIDR” will restrict the access to the Application URL for the Load Balancer via security group “SG for ELB”
Please enter valid IP in CIDR format x.x.x.x/32 for “ELBCIDR” to access the application URL for completing the remaining stack configuration after template deployment is complete.
Please note x.x.x.x/32 for “ELBCIDR” is CIDR format for single IP.
Template Output provides the Application URL as well as Database details.
Access the application via a browser from valid IP range at the load balancer URL which is the website URL from the template output.
Please refer the steps in “D) Other information” below to finish the stack configuration.
B) RDS Cluster / Aurora Details:
RDS Cluster / Aurora Details can be obtained from the Output of the template.
Start using Wordpress by opening website URL from the Output of the template in a browser and enter custom details for your site.
Database details are already configured for the WordPress site in its config file as per inputs during template deployment and do not need to be configured by the user.
Details are also available in
/root/aurora_credentials.txt in the ec2 Instance.
C) SSH Connection: To connect to the deployed instance, Please follow Instructions to Connect to Ubuntu instance on AWS Cloud
1) Download Putty.
2) Connect to the virtual machine using SSH key Refer this link:
- Hostname: PublicDNS / IP of machine
- Port : 22
Username: To connect to the operating system, use SSH and the username is root
Password : Please click here to know how to get the password .
D) Other Information:
1.Default installation path: will be in your web root folder “/var/www/html”.
- Linux Machines: SSH Port – 22
- Http: 80
- Https: 443
To begin configuration please refer the following:
When you open the website URL you shall see the below screen
Database details have already been set during template deployment.
After filling the site details and going to next page your site configuration shall be complete.
A configured site shall be similar to below screen.
During Template deployment if you have restricted access to “ELBCIDR” to specific IPs, in order to allow access to all users to your website please edit the security group “SG for ELB” as shown in pictures below by allowing access to “0.0.0.0/0”
Edit Inbound Rules for “SG for ELB” to allow “0.0.0.0/0” instead of restricted IPs for public access to the configured website.